Saturday, April 23, 2011

Retailer Wanted

Seriously, just one little favor, and I totally won't bother you ever again. I'm trying to cut down on cost, mostly with the little details/decorations for our wedding by doing things myself or with the help of family members. One thing was using the pew decorations later as centerpieces at the reception, since I found a DIY on cute little baskets filled with Orchids. Well, with each bloom being at least 5 dollars, and maybe needing 5-7 blooms per basket, for about 16 pews (ever other one), that's way more than I wanna spend. All the florist were ok with me taking on the task, but were open to either doing them or selling me the sprays I would need. So my other option was artifical, which is fine by me as long as they look good.

My mom and I had looked at Michael's, but I wasn't serious enough then about purchasing anything at the time. Also, I just figured I would go online, find them for a screaming deal, and not have to worry about even going with a florist. The construction seemed easy, even though I may take another route in terms of container, and my sisters said they would definitely help. My little brother mentioned that in LA's flower district they also sell artificials, and that I should go look. Again, not being completely commited to anything yet, I have put it off. Well sort of, I was going to ask my mom if she wanted to go a few Mondays ago, but George was born. Which holding a baby and playing with Henry is better than walking around Downtown LA in my opinion.

So today, I've been doing my online research, mostly for Cymbidiums, but we are also using the Dendrobiums for the Maids/Groomsmen. I found a place that sells just the blooms if wanted, ONLY if you have already purchased their $400 dollar bridal package. They are even the Real/Natural/Fresh Touch or Floramatique type, which are latex of some kind or other material to give the more realistic look. One place I found basically would give me the best deal, but at the bottom it says they don't sell to the public. But I'm wondering if I could coax someone one, say my mom's hair dress/family friend into "purchasing" them for me. Or if it has to be an actual Floral Retailer. I'm just bummed, because everywhere else it seems they don't have them for the right price, or they aren't as nice or similar to what we are using in our floral attire.

Maybe simple really isn't simple

3 comments:

smartypants728 said...

We looked into renting artificial floral displays. The flowers were very high-quality and VERY realistic-looking (and -smelling!) because they are used over and over. The shop we went to basically constructs the bouquets and displays to your specifications like a "real" florist, but then takes them apart after your event to re-use the raw materials. I think it's both higher-quality and cheaper to do that than buy your own artificials, with the exception that you won't be able to arrange it yourself (not something we wanted to do).

Zoogirl said...

Raylene no one will hold them up to you or you wedding party so they don't have to match exactly. I guess that is not a detail that is super important to me.

close would be good. people watch you they may look at the flowers but they don't get into detail about it all.


just my side of it.

Raylene said...

Pants- The florist we are going with is ok with using flake flowers, we just have to supply them, or even stuff from my own garden. But I would rather have some part in the actual decor I guess. Not have a wedding that most people have, but one more personal and that I know I put myself into, and Jason. Even though Jason is more into to the food aspects than I.

R4-I'm going for close, not exact. I don't want them to look horrible, that's all. I'm trying my best to figure out low cost ways or DIY. plus, I haven't even really touched Church decor, minus the pew decorations I would like to do. Guess that will come up soon though.

Thank you for the advice.