Sunday, April 8, 2012

Battle of the Birds

At first, I thought it was really nice to see a female cardinal venture through my backyard. Chirping, hopping and pulling leaves off the weeds. I enjoyed sitting out back, and watching her roam, and the countless failures of my Harvey cat's attempt to catch it. Friday, that all changed.

A few weeks back, I sowed zucchini, directly into the ground, cause I was lazy and didn't want to make newspaper pots or take the time to prep them. So I tilled the ground, made hills, holes, and covered each seed. Within a few weeks, I had little babies popping out of the Arizona ground. I was so excited, even though they were just little.
Friday, I had off for Good Friday, so I went out back to enjoy my little in progress garden. Three of my newspaper pots, the sprouts were pulled out, I blamed the cat, cause she's been naughty as of late. Then I checked my rows, and the leaves were cut too clean to be Harvey. So I went on my way, tending to the rest, and planning the rest of my day.

Then I heard my so called friend, chirping away, enjoying the day... And my sprouts! So I spent my weekend trying to figure out how to keep her and her twin from devastating my zucchini, squash, and cucumber. I have things strung up to flicker in the sunlight and bang in the breeze. I also have everything covered with mini greenhouses I made out of recycling. I'm hoping it will hold up until I can get to it again next weekend...CORN!

No comments: