Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Year, New Crazy Adventure

I know it's cliche to say something like that. Duh, every year will be different and full of new. Even more cliche to say that I just have a feeling that this year is going to be something real special.

Thus far for 2013, I have received one promotion and two raises. I knew a little about one raise back in October, but didn't know it was going to include a promotion/new position on the totem pole. The other raise was that of a cost of living increase, which with the new taxes, actually didn't increase anything. 

Both this things came at a great time. Jason may be getting laid off from the current company he is working with, since they have completed the job at Intel they were contracted to do. Also, there is a lack of work for the union, some prospective jobs are no longer on the horizon, so he may be out of work for awhile.

This promotion also means, more responsibilities to come. I'm already know that's usually what comes with a promotion, and I feel like I can handle it, well 95% of it. The other 5% will involve working in conditions I was hoping to be freed from. I'm excited to learn about my new role and the things yet to come, but that little 5% is making me dread it more and more. I'm most likely making it into a bigger problem than it is, but that 5% already exists, it's just moving along with me. 

It makes me feel that I'm not capable of learning and being proficient enough to not have to depend on that 5% to help move forward. In the last two years, I have learned two data processing systems, beyond what I currently use them for work. Mostly because I ask questions and work problems out so that later I can explain it to someone else if need be. But if I have this little percentage that is going to keep me from knowing everything, why let me be apart of it? Why not give the 5%  the whole package, and give me something else to do? I'm just frustrated because similar things have been going on, and just makes me feel like my superiors don't thinking I'm able to learn and perform at those levels. But I'm told I have done a great job of making it a part of my training to learn all aspects if possible, and relaying them to my peers.

And those new responsibilities are in the future, once we tackle the current hiccup and smooth it out, but even then it will be more than a year away. Which gives me time, I guess, to show that I maybe don't need that 5% hanging on. That I am capable of learning something outside my area, to insure a full understanding of it all. Which will only help with creating a smooth transition of future training of staff and better communication with vendors/IT when problems present themselves. 

If I know the ins and outs, hows and whys, then I'm a better worker and things can just get done correctly the first time around.

Enough about work.

No comments: