Saturday, April 24, 2010

Even Sooner

We upped our moving date a whole week. The fact that we were going to be moving over Memorial Day weekend would have been more expensive than going before or after. So to avoid vacation traffic and holiday gas hikes, we are leaving Austin, Texas on May 22nd. I originally thought I would have to leave some of my stuff in Pheonix and make a trip back to get it all, but the cost of the moving truck is less than half if we drop it off in Long Beach rather than Pheonix. Sort of bums me out a bit, mostly because I most likely won't get to visit Flagstaff like I wanted, but I'll try for in June. Also, it means saying goodbye to Jason at the airport.

I've been very emotional during this whole week, cried for three days, just because everything is being finalized and reality is setting in. Jason and I will be six hours away from one another, but visiting will be near impossible due to the fact I will not have a source of income once I get home and Jason still hasn't heard anything from potiental jobs in Pheonix. And the cost of seeing one another is like an added payment in our life of student loans and bills. He eventually wants to get out to California, since the film industry is based on the West Coast. I didn't know it was going to be like this, and if I did, I would probably be in Flagstaff this whole time. Shoulda, couldas.

A few days ago, I had a breaking point. With the constant knowledge that my degree only gives me hope of unemployment, I am going back to school to get my MFA. I have always desired to work on a college level, even when I was studying Kinesiology. There are jobs all over the Nation to teach studio art classes at colleges and universities, and I have found a bunch for Printmaking. I thought coming out to Austin I could get into the industry and eventually get into UT Austin's MFA program. But the economy caused the most hiccups in my plan to do so. So once I get back to Long Beach I'm going back to school. Audit some studio classes (drawing, printmaking and maybe some Graphic Design), and get my act and portfolio together. No more excuses about more debt, cause without MFA, I will just continue to be in debt. Hopefully I can defer my loans while taking some lower level art classes. I just need studio space really, and motivation.

So lately, people from High School, mostly former teammates, have been adding me as their friends on Facebook. One person recently added was one of my former coaches. I knew him before I even attended high school since my older sister ran under his coaching as well, which caused some problems for me through all four years of high school. I actually had somewhat of a falling out with him my Senior year, when I was actually kicked off the Cross Country team. Well yesterday he contacts me, asking where I was working, and to call him when I get back, all via instant messaging. I was really confused, as if he needed something from me, which upon asking, he said no. I'm not looking to have a reunion with people from high school. All the people that I cared to keep a relationship with after high I have done so until either bridges were gated off or contact was simply lost. I really have only kept in contact with my friend Paul Sudduth, in more than a "hey we know each other" friendship. Plus, most of the people that are or would be connected to this coach, are people who turned their backs on me for the most part, some even lied to get me introuble, so why would I want to hang out or see there people? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they are well and seeking friendship of some kind, but it's not high school anymore. We shall see what happens next.

Only four more weeks...

No comments: