Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy MLK Day...

Something about this so called holiday has me a bit baffled. I have nothing against the late Dr. King, and am grateful that God was able to use him in such a manner, but why do I get this day off? His real birthday is the 15th, which was about a week ago, but why is it his birth the important date? I would think the day he gave his speech there in DC would be better, since it had such a HUGE impact on growing America. Sometimes I wish I was there... But I'm here in this time for some reason, but will I make an impact?

As most of my readers know, I recently turned twenty-four this last Saturday. For years, my birthday never really meant anything, just another day. But I was constantly being reminded that I was turning 24, just a year away from being a quarter century old. I realize that I'm not "old," I mean, just a week before my own Mother turned 61. Yet, I'm realizing I've come along way in my last 24 years. I never dreamed I would be here, Flagstaff, Arizona, getting my degree in art, working a job nowhere related to my field of interest, and listening to Zakk Wylde. The last four years I've spent my birthday away from the traditions of my family, which only consisted of going to Grandma's to eat and open gifts, but it was my day. I admit, I miss those days of family, but that's just another unforgotten memory.

Week two starts tomorrow, but I'm already looking for the weekend. I get to go home. The first of my many adventures before April. They are all family related, well Rhonda related, but it's always good to be with family. And yes Melanie, I'll have the stuff ready before I head out on Friday, PROMISE!

Well I'm off for another adventure in the life of Raylie...

1 comment:

HyperElbow said...

You never text me back...no presents? not one?