Monday, November 5, 2007

Wow be patient. I didn't get back into Flagstaff until after midnight last night...attempted to go to the state fair yesterday, but ended up just going to church.

Have you ever seen a sticker or symbol on a vehicle and wondered it's meaning? I have, actually recently. Driving around in Flagstaff, you often find yourself staring at the back of numerous gas guzzling machines, finding some type of emotion when reading those stickers. There was one this week at puzzled me quite a bit. I was three representational figures, two being identical...one of this things is not like the other...So I decide that it's probably for yoga or some hippie thing, and ignored it...until yesterday.

I went down to Phoenix with Jason, which last week we both said that if we go down we'll have to go to church, no excuses. Mostly cause we were gonna hang out with his buddy, Jeremy, and go to his church. So I rush to get ready for church Sunday, cause the clocks in the houses are all wrong, and I had my cell phone off. We finally leave, and as we go, Jason is explaining that half of Phoenix goes to this church...Great it's a Mega Church. No intimacy and highly impersonal. But as we are about to turn in to the parking lot, I notice those three little figures on the sign...Christ's Church of the Valley. "That's what they mean, those stupid little people."

We walk on to the campus, it's huge! Almost didn't find the worship building, and didn't find his buddy Jeremy. So we go find a seat, and as we walk into the worship hall we are handed bulletins, just like at any other church I've been to, but this one struck me as odd...Yes this is the so called bulletin for there regular service, which, not only stated inside this document, but above every door as you enter...All services are rated PG-13. So we go sit down, and notice that the stage is set up as if some big name performer was coming out to sing praise songs. We sit there, trying our best to give it a chance, and find out that his buddy is in a different service, the Alternative Service.

It starts, and the first thing that pops into my head is, State Youth Conference, and watching the Supertones preform. So we stand there, both not singing, and trying hard to understand what's going on. So, the Pastor starts making the announcements: Operation Christmas Child, Missionaries coming to talk about their experiences, the Alternative Service going over Revelation, and the of course their study on Perfect Sex. As he's talking, the offertory is being done, which I get an offering bag thing shoved in my face by one of the members. But Jeremy comes and saves the day. We go to the other service, which they are discussing Samson, since their study is on Heroes of the Bible.
He actually showed a clip from the TV series, which at that moment, I forgot I was at Church. It was odd, some of the things he said I disagreed on, but it's wasn't too bad. Would I got back? No, and Jason said the same. "It's too big," as we try to escape the congested parking lot. "we need to find a place in Flag that's not crazy like this."

So I went, got scared, but survived...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a church here that is like that....Seacoast....they even have a website....not sure what it is...but if you attend & fill out a visitors card they hunt you down & call you incessantly to come back, even if you don't feel it is what you are looking for. Kinda like a cult and their followers. I like our smaller church. Kinda like 1st so. and g-ma's combined. Very friendly & I even have some of the guests that know me at lexus from church... like my S.S. teacher Mr. Lovelady! ha ha. I hope you find someplace that you feel good in. I will keep thinking on this for you! Love ya!

becca

Anonymous said...

Good insight on your blog. I've been to the CCV church you speak of. The first time I went (2005), I was overwhelmed with the size of it. I do remember being impressed the message was about a church CCV built in Africa and mission work around the world. Not something many churches focus on.

I remember leaving and hating the mass crowds and it felt kind of like a "country club" and if you didn't know what it was all about, that was your problem. (too much information to process I guess) It was weird though, as I was leaving I bumped into someone I knew. I asked them, how do you stand it? The place is huge! They said it is shocking at first, but to give it at least 3 tries. I gave it another chance (a year later) and the same thing happened, I ran into another person I hadn't seen in years. They invited me to have dinner in the cafe with them and we had a really great time. For several weeks I returned and the same thing would happen... I'd run into someone I hadn't seen in a long time or from another church I used to go to. It's like God was telling me the size of the building shouldn't matter, it's the people that make up THE church that matters. And the church isn't really there to be "all about me" anyhow.

CCV tries to keep the church "small" by getting you to meet the people that live in your neighborhood. I've met more people that live in my neighborhood in the past few months because of CCV's neighborhood ministry. They all seem pretty normal and it's been fun getting to know them. :o) The weekend band "concerts" & taboo topics (like especially the sex series) give us something to talk about and discuss. I've never been disappointed with the sermons, since it's about real things going on in my life. (none of the canned church messages)

There is a Christ's Church in Flagstaff. It was started by someone that went to CCV in Peoria AZ. I heard it's much smaller... Check it out: www.ccof.net

Take care, Robin

Zoogirl said...

I am glad you tried and I know how you feel.
Shadow mountain is like that a little but what helped me is they had a group that was my age. Did you get to check into that? It was daunting to go into a service with litteraly thousands of people and feel awkward.
I liked the teaching our pastor did and liked the smaller friendly connective feeling of my age group.
I know my church always has weird bulletin stuff, maybe it was a weird series you happened to be there for. Our smaller college/career group did a video series about dating, sex and all that maybe they were doing something similar. it was not our every day topic but it was there for a few weeks.
I went to Shadow mountain once and almost gave up. I prayed about it and when they called me I complained about how unfriendly they were and said maybe I would come back. I tried again and connected. two weeks later i was dating Brian, haa haa.
I know this is scarry and I am not trying to say my way is right but don't get too discouraged. It is not always magical the first time.
I love you