Saturday, September 1, 2007

Ow! My Babies!

I think I said that twice this afternoon. It's been awhile since I've been to a theme park, and it's been ages since I've been to Knott's. It's totally not what I remember, but a lot changes in nine years. Some rides I used to love are now gone, but replaced with short versions of greatness, or at least that's how I felt about Sierra Sidewinder. Ghost Rider made my head and ovaries hurt...ok not my ovaries, but did throw me around quite a bit. I don't even remember being able to see clearly on the whole ride. But I enjoyed myself none the less, and mostly enjoyed the people I shared those insane observations.

My days here are almost over, and I really wish it was June again. My summer is gone, and it's taken me this long to realize it...

Education is important, right? I should know, mostly because I have stuck with higher learning for the past five years, can changing my major just a few times. But is there more? Well yeah. I could get my MFA, and pretty much be guaranteed a job since people in my field of interest is so rare. Most Printmaking instructors are really Painters trying to pass themselves off as us wonderful people. I am proud of what I'm doing with my art, or at least the medium I'm in, but is that enough to do another two years of Master's work? I would only go to a school that let me have a paid internship, which most do. It just seems to be pressed against my face, like a child does on a window for our amusement.

Retah, actually brought up the fact that I'm about two classes away from having my BFA in Ceramics, so I should double or minor. That means I would have to do two Senior Capstone/Exhibitions, so more work. And the Ceramics Department has never really been supportive of me, since day one. So why get two degrees? According to her, I can't just depend on Printmaking, since demand changes, and it would benefit me to have a back up. She also stated that if I have two emphasis, I might be a better candidate for a teaching position. I really doubt that the demand for Printmaking Instructors is going to change, since most people consider painting and sculpture the "fine arts."

Well I should go to bed, and Melanie, if you're reading this, you should too! Sorry to call you out, but I had to. We have to be rested for tomorrow: ultimate frisbee and soccer, and all the Baptist food we can eat!

You too Jourdan!

1 comment:

HyperElbow said...

Hey...you up too Jourdan? Maybe we can chat sometime. And yes, you called it Raylene.