Sunday, July 15, 2007

I love me some bar-b-que...no really, I did!

Knowing that we are fulfilling God's purpose is the only thing that really gives rest to the restless human heart.
- Charles Colson

Today was our usual family get together to celebrate July Birthdays in my family, and of course it had to be at the Brice's house. Oh well, at least I got some Lucille's beef ribs, tri tip, mac and cheese, and of course biscuits with apple butter. I had two plates, well almost two plates, but I was so full it hurt. But it was worth it, and I found out later it was not worth taking some home either. Let's just say my truck smells delicious now.

I had a blast with my nephews, though I spent most of my time with James snoozin' on me. At least I got to watch the Angels game. And yes, they lost, but the Dodgers lost to the Angels, so what does that say about them? And I'm starting to realize that my cousin is really moving, for realz! And also realizing that my family doesn't listen very well. Every function I tell them I have a year and a half left, no more, no less. And that hurts, but I just have to laugh about it...

But also with today was church, which our regular pastor is back in Indiana (Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana...) so Don and Nate Adams preached. Which I prefer Pastor Hill, but they were both great sermons. I was challenged today, not in anyway I felt comfortable about. I sat down for morning worship and was immediately being approached by a complete stranger, which I consider most of the members one since I'm only home a few times out of the year. So I just was like, oh a member that hasn't met me yet. Boy was I wrong! It was a first timer, and I was the wrong person to answer any questions. She stated that she's been going through a hard time; passing of family members, her current living situation, etc. All I could say is that the Bible says not to worry, and that God can handle anything, the hard part is letting Him handle it. Some of the things she said scared me, really bad. I was glad that someone else came over to talk to her as well, but why did God put me there in the first place? I'm not really strong in my faith, but I do hold tight to what I have. Thus, I don't consider myself that great of a witness to those around me. I guess every little bit helps...

I think I might put off the date of my return to Flagstaff. The College and Career Group is going to Yosemite again for the 3rd year in a row, and I want to go. I went the first year, almost died, and wasn't able to go last year. But I have to make sure it's ok with what I left back home, and I'm not just talking about work. I've been away for three weeks, and worried about what I'm coming home to on the 29th. That is two weeks away, but is another week really going to matter? Everything is gonna be there when I get back for the most part. I might miss some people passing through, but nothing says I won't see them another time. I'm still debating, and thinking about the responsibilities I'm leaving unattended...

One Sunday morning, the pastor noticed little Johnny standing in the foyer of the church, looking at a large plaque that hung there. After the young man of seven had stood there for some time, the pastor walked up beside him and said quietly,

"Good morning, son."

"Good morning, Pastor," replied the youngster, not taking his eyes off the plaque. "Can I ask you, Sir, what is this for? Why are all these names listed on here?"

"Well, son, these are all the people who have died in the service," replied the pastor. Soberly, they stood together, staring up at the large plaque.

Little Johnny's voice barely broke the silence when he asked quietly, "Which one, Sir, the 8:30 or the 10:30?"

No comments: