Saturday, July 14, 2007

Is it time to leave?

If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth...
- C. S. Lewis


Friday ended week three of LBUSD Underwater Adventure, so two to go. But Friday was a real test of my patience. I'm blaming the heat and the exhaustion of the staff on most of the things that happened. It seemed that every time we had a so called situation(fighting, not sharing, etc), and we get it resolved and taken care of, we have another one brought to our attentions. I really was frustrated with a lot of the kids, and the inferno was not helping me keep my cool. So we sent the kids in to the air conditioned room twice that day, which seemed to help, but still was stressful. "we can't hear the movie, why do we have to be in here, Miss Raylene, Miss Raylene..." I wanted to just start ignoring them and go to sleep, but with my luck, I would get caught. And I know I'm not the only one feeling the pain. Poor Collin...

Four o'clock rolled around, and I was peacin' out. I wasn't getting stuck waiting with the kids, not today. "Oh, you're parents aren't here, go talk to Ms. Brenda or Ms. Amy." Yea that makes me look bad, and almost unqualified for a promotion to a leader, but I really could careless at this point. I had a date with three guys and a chicken, since Tony told me to come to dinner.

This is most likely my last summer, which I did say that last year, but things are changing in my life, big changes. And it hurts to think that my replacement won't do an efficient job, which I have already seen with Linda and Urias. This was also my very first paid job, and have worked for the past six summers. I volunteered from 1995 until I was finally hired in 2002, so I have more experience than most of the Recreational Leaders, and seen a lot of the changes in the program. And I enjoy this job, more than you would think. I'm making a difference in the kids lives, some who's parents are to busy to even ask them about how their day went. Yes, most of these kids come from single parent homes, or households that both parents work so that they can survive, which makes life harder at times on the kids themselves. But will the next person really understand that?

I found out yesterday morning that every Friday, one of the church families has a bit of a pool party. I know the girl, Noelle, who's house it was, but not that well, along with the rest of the church members. So I went, and met up with Rhonda and Paul there. Yes, I was shy at first and started talking to Rhonda, and accidentally dunked her in. I'm not that comfortable in a bathing suit, mostly because I'm a bit big in the chestal area. So I quickly got in and rushed over to my sister. But realized I was with family, and could be myself, and no one would care what I looked like. I got asked a lot of questions, which is expected, I am the long, lost, little sister. I have never felt so welcomed before in my life, and wonder if that's how people feel when they meet my family? Guess I'll have to ask next time some one does for the first time...won't that be awkward.

Oh and the pool...Was amazing! Just what I needed to end my week. And it wasn't just some ordinary pool, it was a saltwater pool. Or as AJ corrected me, Saline Pool. I was diving and just screwing around for the most part, and I didn't feel like I was dirty and needed to shower, and my eyes didn't burn like in a normal pool. Plus, my skin felt really nice after getting out and going home. But I'll be back next Friday...

My weekend is pretty empty at the moment. I really wanted to go to the beach, mostly with my little brother. So when I went to ask him, he said he was already going and that I couldn't go for a lame reason. Why is the fact that his girlfriend's friend from college is gonna be there? The beach is big enough that I'm sure I wouldn't get in the way of her tanning. Shoot, I would be in the water anyway. At first I thought I was mad, but it was more that it hurt. I love my brother and haven't even gotten the chance to catch up with him...I miss him and he's here.

Joke of the day!
An engineer died and ended up in Hell. He was not pleased with the level of comfort in Hell, and began to redesign and build improvements. After awhile, they had toilets that flush, air conditioning, and escalators. Everyone grew very fond of him.

One day God called to Satan to mock him, "So, how's it going down there in Hell?"

Satan replied, "Hey, things are great. We've got air conditioning and flush toilets and escalators, and there's no telling what this engineer is going to come up with next."God was surprised, "What? You've got an engineer? That's a mistake. He should never have gotten down there in the first place. Send him back up here."

"No way," replied Satan. "I like having an engineer, and I'm keeping him."

God threatened, "Send him back up here now or I'll sue!"

Satan laughed and answered, "Yeah, right. And just where are YOU going to get a lawyer?"

No comments: